Create a League Part 1: Set up a league on OpenSports (Web)
Part I: League Creation
Part I: League Creation
Welcome to OpenSports Leagues/Tournaments!
This system was dreamed of many years ago, and we started to develop it in mid-to-late 2019. To see our hard work come to fruition, and to have it in your hands now, is incredibly rewarding. Let’s create a league!
This article is the first part of a two-part tutorial to help you get started with OpenSports leagues.
In this article, we’ll walk you step-by-step through (i) creating your first league. In the next tutorial, we will walk you through (ii) creating and publishing a round robin schedule.
Let’s get started!
1. Create a group & connect to Stripe
If you already have a group on OpenSports, skip this step.
A) Log in to your admin user account and create a new group.
- Navigate to the menu by clicking on your profile picture (or circle with initials) (top right corner of OpenSports webpage)
- Tap on Create a Group
- Enter a name and location for the new group. A location is required as it will dictate the primary time zone used for the league (e.g. registration dates/times).
- Tap “Create” to create the group.
B) Set up payment details (Stripe account)
- From the homepage of the new Group, tap on the Payment from the menu of options.
- On the next page, tap on “Link to Bank Account”.
- You’ll be taken to a Stripe page. Fill out the simple form and you’ll be ready to collect payment for your league!
2. Creating your first league
A) Getting started & select league type
- Starting on your Group’s homepage, tap on the “Leagues” tab and click the “Create league” button
- Select the type of league
- Ask yourself: Is this going to be a one-off standalone league, or is it going to repeat over different time periods (e.g. seasons)?
B) League name & season title
- Select the sport and enter a name for the league — this is the name it will always have, no matter what season it is (e.g. “Friday Night Coed Soccer”).
- Enter the season (e.g. “Spring 2021”).
C) League details and pools
Fill out some information about the league
- Full title — this will be used identify the league and season to potential players looking to join a league.
- Location — this is used by potential players to discover this league.
- Description — be creative and promote your league! This field is markdown enabled (see https://www.markdownguide.org/cheat-sheet/ for more details on markdown).
- Structure — OpenSports leagues can have both a round-robin stage and an elimination (playoffs) stage, or just one of the two.
- Youth league — additional security for youths by keeping their names hidden from other players.
Set up pools/divisions (Pools are optional, and we will be allowing you to add more than two pools soon).
- If you are operating a large league, you can set up pools like Eastern and Western, or Pool A and Pool B.
D) Key dates and registration settings
Set up Registration Dates and Match Dates
- Registration Dates — when people can register for the league. The date range should encompass all registration options (e.g. early bird and regular). For leagues open to the public (e.g. not just members of your group), this league will only be discoverable by other OpenSports users during this date range.
- Match Dates — when all of the matches will occur.
- Min / max number of teams — The system will use this info about min and max # of teams to help you create team registration tickets (so that, for example if the min is 8 and the max is 16, you can’t sell tickets for less than 8 or more than 16 teams)
- Payment currency
- Max players per team roster
E) Add Registration Options — how players/teams will sign up
OpenSports offers a wide array of registration options. Two popular options are by Team or by Free Agent.
- Team Registrations — captains will sign up their team and players will join the team created by their captain. Payments for a team can be paid entirely by the captain when they sign up their team, or each player can pay a per-player flat fee when they join the team.
- Free Agent Registrations — players register as free agents, and the league admin can assign them to a team later on. This option is popular for leagues where everybody registers as free agents and the league admin assigns everyone to teams manually. In this case, do not add any team registrations.
Custom registration dates
- By default, the registration dates for each option will follow the default registration dates set up in prior step; however, you have the option to modify the available registration dates here to offer early bird and mid-season registration options.
For this tutorial, we’ll set up 10 regular team registration tickets where the captain will pay for the entire team, and 10 split payment tickets at $150 per player (but only 10 spots will be available in total).
- Tap the “Add” button beside Team Registrations
- Select “Per Team” under Payment Split
- Enter an amount like $1500.00 under Price per Team
Custom Questions — if you would like captains & players to answer custom questions while they are registering as a player in your league
- Tap “New List of Questions” to start creating your custom questions, such as “what is your t-shirt size?”
- You can toggle on “Required” if you require for that question to be answered, and the min and max characters allowed in the answer
- Click on “Add New Question” if you would like multiple questions to apply to that registration
- Tap Save when you have added all the questions, and you will be able to preview the questions from the Team Registration set up page
- Review the info and tap “Save”
Use the default registration dates or change this to custom dates
- You should have total of (e.g., 10) team spots available at the end of this step.
- Next, you can see a summary of the registration options you added
- Tap Add if you want to add additional registration options (i.e., split payment, free agents, early bird, mid-season registration… the options for registration types are endless!)
F) Match settings
- Enter a Default Match Description (optional).
- Under Score Entry, specify whether matches are self-officiated by toggling on Captains Can Enter Scores. If matches are self-officiated, captains will be able to enter the scores after each match, otherwise, only league admins will be able to enter scores.
- Tap “Done” and confirm you wish to create the league.
- You will be re-directed to the Dashboard view.
G) League dashboard & Edit league settings
Hooray! You have created your league! Once your league is created, you can see the league, set up the schedule, and edit the settings, under the League tab.
- Navigate to the “League” submenu.
- Tap on “Settings” to edit many of the options we went through above.
H) Invite players
Now that you’ve created your league, you’ll want to share the link to the league with everybody! That way they can register
Let all of your club’s members know that registration is open and direct them to the OpenSports app (or your group’s web URL) so that captains and free agents can find and join the tournament.
- Only captains and free agents will register for the league through the team/free agent registration page.
- Once captains register their team, they can easily generate an invite link to send to their teammates to invite them to register for the team/tournament.
🍾🍾 Congrats!!! You have created your first league!!
To recap, in Part I of the tutorial, you’ve managed to create your first league!
When you’re ready, move on to Part II, where we’ll continue by creating and publishing a schedule of round robin matches.
Woohoo! Any questions about setting up a tournament… send them our way to firstname.lastname@example.org :)